Wednesday, August 06, 2014

FARM HOUSE TABLE - PART I


I love the old fashioned farmhouse tables.  Plank wood, plain or spindled legs, stained top and painted bottom.

Good example of what I want,  only I like thinner legs and
not quite so much distressing.  This table can be custom built for 

over $3,000.  Ouch!  No way I could afford this.
Since moving to Georgia four years ago I have wanted one of these tables for the dining room. Periodically I would scan the web looking for good deals.  I've been to many furniture stores looking and looking.  Either the costs were what I considered ridiculous or it was not made well or not exactly what I want.
My little drop leaf table with two of the chairs I 
like and want to use in my dining room. .
Picture is looking out into my screen porch and
Lady having some dinner in the foreground.

One issue is the little drop leaf table and four chairs I purchased for my kitchen when I moved in.  With the leaves up it was the perfect size for my small kitchen.  And, because I have a small kitchen I eventually purchased a portable island for storage and more counter space.  I didn't need the all of the chairs since I dropped both side leaves of the table to accommodate the island.  But, I love this little table and the chairs.  I wanted a farmhouse table to match.  My idea was I could use two of the chairs in the kitchen and two around the farmhouse table in the dining room.  At the head and foot of the table I would have two parson chairs with slip covers.  This was my plan.

Last fall I wandered into a little decorating store - one of those little stores somewhere between a junk/rehab furniture store and a design store - called One Unique.  I met the owner, June and we started talking about a farmhouse table.  Roy is the carpenter who works with June said he could make one for me.  Hmmm - we talked size, dimensions, color and stain.  A few weeks later they called me with a price quote.  An extremely reasonable price quote - less than a one fourth the cost of the table in the picture above.  But, I had bills to pay and time when by.

I sold my current dining room table for enough to put a down payment on a farmhouse table.  But, should I settle for something I saw at a local furniture store or keep saving until I could get exactly what I wanted?

I went into the funky store again.  Both the store owner, June and Roy, the carpenter, were there and we talked about building a farmhouse table to my specifications.   They also showed me several pictures of furniture recently built, including a farmhouse table close to what I wanted.  We decided I would return the next day with one of my kitchen chairs so we could match the wood stain and the paint color, which I did, and the order was placed.
On of the two chairs for the head and foot of the
new table.  Fabric will be used on the cushions on
both chairs.
The owner, June, asked about chairs and I told her my plan for using parson chairs.  As I was poking around the store (you need about three trips around the old house they use as the store in order to see everything) I noticed June was painting two wood chairs a pretty blue and had matching fabric nearby. They would be awesome when finished.  Well, before I knew it we picked out two chairs to use at the head and foot of the table.

Now, the two chairs do not match, but have the same basic curvy design.  June didn't have two chairs that matched, but she will paint them to match the color of the table I have.  I brought in fabric which will be used on the cushions.  Cost?  Fifty bucks per chair.  I could have never purchased even one parson chair for the cost of both chairs.  And, the fact that they don't match?  I don't care!  It will just add to the charm of the table and the over all look.  The fabric for the cushions is from the same fabric line of the valences I have in my dining room.  So, the fabric will tie everything together as well as the paint color.
Chairs will be painted to match the table and my current
chairs.  June will stain the chair carved details before painting and
lightly brush over them, which will make them pop.
Now I have to wait.  It will be about five weeks before the table is completed.  June promised me the chairs in about two weeks.  I will be able to watch the progress of the table and take pictures!  It is exciting.  The best thing is that I waited  and I saved up and I am getting exactly what I want.  Let's hope that in this incident the phrase, "good things happen to those who wait" is true!

No comments: