Wednesday, August 20, 2014

SWAP A BLOCK QUILT


I joined an awesome online quilt block swap.  So far we have made and are submitting  churn dash blocks and we are working on a holiday block swap.  I will post more on this later.  However, I do want to write about the holiday quilt block.

The rules are we should submit 12 blocks measuring 12 1/2" each.  We can use any block pattern we want.  I decided I was too busy to make a complicated block for holiday block swap so I decided to do a basic nine patch.  I picked out rich holiday fabric to make up for the lack of a fancier block and my laziness!


Rich green and red, both with gold specks, for the surrounding squares and great poinsettia fabric for the center square.


I alternated the blocks - some with red highlighted, some with green highlighted and always the poinsettia fabric in the center.  Making the 12 blocks for the swap went fast.

As I made the blocks I kept thinking of the other fabric in this line.  I liked the idea of a holiday quilt with black as the background.  I am not really a "cutzie, wootzie" person so laughing snowman or dancing penguins is something I wouldn't pick out for myself.  I also want it to stay out long past the holiday season.

Now, I have around nine quilt tops completed waiting to be quilted.  And, I have at least 4-5 quilts tops either started or waiting to be started.  I don't need more projects.  But, there is something about quilting that makes me act stupid!  LOL  So, I went back to my favorite quilt store, The Quilt Shop On Main, and purchased coordinating fabric.


It is beautiful fabric.  Deep, vibrant colors accented with gold.  I love the partridges and the pears.  I just think the fabric is elegant.  So, I needed to make a quick quilt.  I made additional 12 1/2 " 9-patch blocks and cut the coordinating fabric in 12 1/2" pieces and sewed them together.



I loved how it turned out.  Now for the borders.  It is a dark quilt so for the first border I went with a lighter color, picking up the tones from the light colors in the feature fabric.


This fabric has the same gold in it as the others.  So soft and pretty.


The first border really "popped" the quilt.  With the help of the "quilt ladies" at the shop we tried all different fabric ideas for the second border and ultimately decided on the same poinsettia fabric as in the center of the 9-patch blocks.  I think it is a good decision.


This is a simple quilt, but I think the fabric makes it look sophisticated.  And, check out this fabulous fabric I am going to use for the backing.



Not your typical Christmas quilt, but I plan on having this out from December 1 through January 31.

I love the way it turned out.  I have fabric left so I will increase the number of blocks I submit for the swap from 12 to 16 or 18.  And, I hope the ladies in my swap group forgive me for making myself a quilt and don't mind getting a simple 9-patch block!

2 comments:

Jessica Lermer said...

So happy to have you as part of the group!! Love the quilt.

Amy Gill said...

Simple 9 patch? Ha! The way that all came together is fabulous. I hope I get one of your blocks.