Monday, December 14, 2009

Shannon & the Snow People

Double click on image to get the full "cuteness" effect!

OK - Indulge me. This picture of my 3-year old great-niece, Shannon, is just too darn cute not to post. The snow people were made by Jeannie and her gang at Ye Olde Schoolhouse Quilt Shop. Aren't they all adorable? The Abby Cadabby doll is Shannon's Christmas present from her other great-aunt, Suzanne.

Shannon and I spent last Saturday together. The highlight was going to Ye Olde Schoolhouse and letting Shannon pick out fat quarters to be used for doll quilts. We stuck to the 1930 reproductions as I knew she would like the brighter colors. She did an amazing job picking them out! They are now washed and pressed and after I return from Atlanta we will start one of the little quilts.

We also made bar cookies, tried to take a nap and I started to teach her to sew. Remember the old fashioned punch cards that many of us learned sewing basics with? Well, I found reproduction cards from the 1930s and used them to teach Shannon. She is pretty young, but really loved doing this - on my lap with my watchful eyes (although the "needle" is huge, plastic and dull, it could still do damage to an eye)!


Needless to say, I was exhausted Saturday night! But I had a blast with Shannon. I'm looking forward to New Year's weekend when we will start the doll quilt. Should be interesting!

2 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

What cute pictures! See you soon! Karen

antique quilter said...

I love this picture with her and the snow people!
too cute and look at that quilt there!!!!