Tuesday, December 08, 2009

A Zen Kind of Quilt

Finished quilt top spread out on a sheet placed on my basement floor!
Double click on picture for a better view of the fabric.

I remember seeing this quilt, entitled "Zen" in the February2009 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting magazine and thinking, "Hmmm - interesting." At the Chicago Quilt Show last April I saw it hanging in a booth along with the very last bundle of fabric to make the quilt. I grabbed the bundle.


I had never worked with batiks before and wanted to try. And, despite an error in the magazine cutting instructions, and one of my own, it was easy and quickly put together. I also had fun pairing up the colors. Each fabric was prettier than the last.


Organizing on basement floor



I really needed a design wall to put it all together, but don't have the wall space. So, I spread a sheet over my basement floor, laid out the blocks and stood on the steps to get a good view. Despite a lot of rearranging, there are still a couple of blocks of the same print and/or hue too close together. Oh, well . . .

Now I need to purchase the backing and have it quilted. I'm excited about purchasing the backing. All those beautiful batiks in all those beautiful colors and patterns! Maybe I should go with more of a solid or a marble fabric. Picking out the backing may take a while!

2 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

It's fun to sew with batiks. They are so crispy.

Earthbound Spirit said...

These are so beautiful!