Sunday, April 19, 2009

2009 International Quilt Festival/Chicago

I am on overload.


Yesterday I joined 40 other women and took a bus down to Chicago to participate in the International Quilt Show.

OH MY GOD.

It was awesome.

I went alone, but met several very nice women on the bus - Grace, Pam and Carol as well as Shova, who amazed all of us by knitting socks during the bus ride! Once inside Rosemont Convention Center, Grace, Pam, Carol and I immediately starting looking at all of the beautiful quilts on display. Both traditional and artistic, they were amazing. After a while we decided we could only take in so much at one time, so we went to lunch.

After lunch we decided to split up and shop as there were zillions of vendors, but to meet again and finish looking at all of the quilts. This worked out great. We finished up the quilts, split up again to shop, met again for an early dinner, split up and met again to return home.

Oh, and shop I did! I really practiced restraint, too, believe it or not. I got a bias cutting ruler, a pattern for a lap quilt, 2 fat quarters for a pattern I had at home, pre-cut material for a lap quilt I saw previously in a magazine and want to make for my nephew's family, tee shirts with quilting designs on them, a small Jim Shore figurine of an angel quilting (which will be a gift) and a pre-cut pattern of a wall hanging featuring SHOES! Finally, I can mix my love of shoes and quilting!


Here's a pic of my purchases. Click on the picture to make larger and see colors better. Ahhh, life is GOOD.


But the BEST part was a vendor selling antique quilts. Oh, I did damage there! I bought several packages of just antique blocks, a couple individual blocks (see picture) and one wedding ring quilt top. More on these in a later blog.


Grace took pictures. Hopefully she will forward them to me.


What a day! What fun! What nice people!

No comments: