Sunday, April 05, 2009

Nan, Bert, Freddie, Flossie, Nancy, Cherry, Vicki, Trixie and the Rest of the Gang

When Shelley and I were little (we met when we were 8) we both loved to read. Still do, but I digress. Our favorites at that time (c. 1963) were the Bobbsey Twins (Nan and Bert, Freddie and Flossie).

We would walk over to each other's houses and spend the hours reading and trading books. I had copies that my sister's had read.

As we got a little older we moved on to Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames and Vicki Barr. Everyone knows the girl sleuth, Nancy Drew. However, many might not know nurse Cherry Ames or stewardess Vicki Barr. Oh, the adventures these girls took us on. I was especially fond of Cherry Ames as my mom was a nurse.

A few years later along came Trixie Belden with her best friend, Honey. She was more our age by then and we loved her.

We knew all of the characters in these books and would act out the plots or make up our own. It was great fun. At the time we didn't realize that these fictionalized girls probably taught us a lot about gumption, adventure, friendship and that girls can and could do anything, even if (at that time) a handsome boyfriend, brother or father rescued them when they got into trouble ( and they always did). In today's novels that wouldn't happen - the girl hero's would figure it out and rescue themselves or another girl would come along and save the day. The point is, these characters were not afraid to seek the truth, conjure good over evil and help others.



To celebrate our vacation together, Shelley, who is still in love with all things Bobbsey related, made us each the tee shirt below. With the help of her daughter, Brooke, she copied book images off the web, ironed them on to the shirts, added little X's and cute buttons. Shelley had a blast makng them and I appreciate the gesture. They were a riot to wear. Women all over Savannah recognized the books. Unfortunately, I got a couple of stains on my shirt (now all removed), but could not wear it again during vacation, but what fun we had that one day.



Times have changed and books for young girls are more sophisticate. For us though, in the early to mid 1960s we were very innocent. The books were appropriate.



So, hats off to Nan, Flossie, Cherry, Vicki, Trixie and Honey and all the other "girl" book characters. I still love and admire you. Thanks for the memories. And, the lessons.

5 comments:

Earthbound Spirit said...

I read some Cherry Ames! And all the Trixie Belden books - which Maggie in turn devoured along with historical fiction about girls in American history. Cute shirts.

J.... said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!! I was so happy to see a comment...

Your quilting is really nice and I look forward to more posts!!

Lucy Gillam said...

Thank you for this post. I read Vicki and Cherry largely because my mother gave me her old books, and I loved them. (Note: I'm 40, so this is not an age thing ;).

Anonymous said...

I read Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys (my cousins had the entire set) and Trixie Beldon. Oh the memories.....

Julie-Ann said...

Thanks both Lucy and Trish for reading my blog.

I have re-read a couple of Bobbsey Twins and Cherry Ames books recently. Aaah, so innocent.

Trish - I have dropped in your blog several times. I enjoy it.