Saturday, April 04, 2009

Ahhhh, vacation

March 20th, I left for a nice long vacation. I had rented a timeshare in Hilton Head, this time in the Sea Pines area- right by Harbor Town - and my gal pal, Shelley and I enjoyed a week long stay there.


Hilton Head is OK. It is pretty, but I would not want to live there. If you don't golf, I imagine there isn't a whole lot to do there, either. But, retirees seem to love it. I really tried to get a timeshare unit in Charleston, where Shelley and I wanted to spend a week, but it didn't happen.


We did explore Hilton Head and the outlet stores! One day was spent in Savannah and the highlight of the trip, I believe for both of us, was an over night adventure in Charleston.


Shelley booked us a double room in a 240 year old B&B in the historic area. It was lovely. And, we were able to walk all over town. As in Savannah, in Charleston we took a carriage ride to learn about the area and decide which areas we wanted to explore. We toured a beautiful old mansion, explored a cemetery dating back to the early 1700s, shopped in the "ritzy" area, and walked (as well as drove) along side streets to explore the beautiful architecture of Charleston.

This picture of a typical old house in Charleston if off the web as my battery died in my camera and I can't find the charger so I can upload pictures.

We had some great meals in Charleston, too. (We ate our way through the whole vacation!). I had fabulous grits and shrimp. And, we had a great, fun meal at Jestine's. I even got to a small quilt store a few blocks from our B&B.

One day we also drove into historic Buford, SC and explored the harbor and old historic houses.


It was a fun week with Shelley. We have known each other since we were 8 years old. Although our lives took different paths the friendship still exists and I am very thankful for that.

During this time Sue had her 65th birthday. Marty surprised her with a party consisting off all of the kids (and their parents) she does child care for. Some additional neighbors came as well. Their house as packed and it was so much fun for all of us.


Back to the grindstone!

2 comments:

Earthbound Spirit said...

OK - talk more food! Did you get to Sermet's? That was my favorite restaurant in Charleston - a fun ambience and really good food.

sounds like you had a great time!

Julie-Ann said...

No, we didn't have enough time. We ate at 82 King Street (or Queen Street?) That is where I had the shrimp and grits. Turned me on to grits, that's for sure. I did see Sermets. We only had one night there, but I sure want to go back. What a beautiful city! Did you make it to Jestines? Worth the wait in line and just plain fun to dine.