Sunday, April 19, 2009

Antique Quilts


I have always been attracted to homemade quilts and quilting. This attraction is for many reasons, some of which are that I love antiques, I love the thought of making quilts to keep a family warm at night and that I have a couple that were made by my mother and grandmother. The image of pioneer women making quilts from scraps or even my grandmother piecing quilts is a strong image for me and calls to me.

Hence, I am thrilled that I am learning the art of quilting. While "artistic" quilts are beautiful, I am strongly attracted to "old fashioned" quilts with traditional patterns. Even if made with more contemporary fabrics and patterns, I still love the old patterns. I am also attracted to the 1930s reproduction fabrics, which are so popular now.

While at the International Quilt Show I found a lady who was selling antique quilts, quilt tops, blocks and individual blocks. I spent more time in her booth than all the others put together.










While looking at the quilts, she had them tagged and labeled very well. If she knew anything about the quilter, she had that listed along with the location where it was made, the era and the overall condition of the quilt.
I felt a little sad looking at these quilts. They were beautiful. Someone had put love and effort into these quilts and now they were for sale to the highest bidder. What happened? Where there no family members to lovingly pass these quilts on to? Maybe family members didn't want them, just didn't appreciate them. Were they sold because some where over the years they needed the money (even now with the economy as it is)? Where they just lost and/or forgotten?



This bothers me. These quilts, whatever condition they are in were made from the heart. For the most part they were all hand stitched or machine sewn and then hand quilted. So much work and effort. Yes, some had tears and stains. Some were in sad condition. Still, to me, they are works of art for all of their original, practical beginnings.

I bought 2 packages of individual quilt blocks. Makes me wonder even more. Why weren't they finished? Were they ripped out of completed quilts because the rest of the quilt was in too bad of shape to save? What was the quilter's overall vision?

Well, now I am their keeper. The double wedding ring quilt top I purchased was made in the 1930s. It is my all time favorite quilt pattern. The Dresden Plate blocks, while very incomplete is my second favorite. The tulips are just sweet and pretty. Hopefully, with the blocks I will someday have the skills (or find someone who does) to piece them into a complete blocks and tops. The double wedding ring I would like to have quilted soon, but that might wait until I have the time and skill to hand quilt it since it is all hand pieced.
If you look closely at the tulip blocks you can see that even some of the blocks were pieced together. Probably out of old sheets or pillow cases, maybe old shirts. This just makes them even more special to me.












I think I see a new collection starting here. Old quilts, blocks, patterns accumulating. I will love and care for them and try to bring them back to the best of my ability or just leave them to be loved (again) as they are.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I find old quilts and their stories fascinating as well. Isn't it something that what we as quilters value get thrown out by others? Or to them it's 'just' a quilt.

I wanted to say than you for the compliments on my photos, I wanted to reply but you don't have an email address attached to your blog. :)

And yes, that is my grandma's hand!!

Julie-Ann said...

Truthfully, my mother felt that way. She was not a sentimantel person. We used quilts made by her mother for years and when they got beyond repair she tossed them. Once I was old enough I grabbed the last 2 remining quilts. Her response was, "What do you want with those old things?" She was a wonderful mother in all respects, though. However, she was rasied on a farm and very practical and quilts used all of the time and were not very interesting to her.

If I knew how to put my email address on the blog, without letting anyone know the exact email address (like a link, maybe?) I would have it on there. I just don't want everyone in the world to have my personal email address.

Seriously, I love that picture and think you should have some printed.