Monday, June 01, 2009

Window Wells

My house is 120 years old. I have always gotten water in a certain area of my basement. Usually it is not too bad unless we have days of heavy down pour. When I bought the place almost 11 years ago the inspector to me to have window wells dug out by 2 (or 4) of the basement windows.

Hopefully, I will retire next year and will be selling my house next spring and I decided to have this done.



My youngest nephew, Patrick, generously offered to do the job with the help of his 17 year old son, Aaron. Saturday they started. They finished on Sunday.
(nothing like rotted wood!)


Four window wells, 3 yards of dirt, 20 bags of rock, 25 rolls of sod, one trip to Menards, one trip to True Value Hardware, one trip to the place to get the sod, one gas tank filled, one dinner, one lunch, a breakfast and many hours of very hard labor, it is done.
Oh, and while they worked they butts off, I got to spend time with Patrick's daughter, Shannon, age 2 1/2.






I think I came out with the better end of the deal.



(See how beautiful it looks!)




When Patrick sets his mind on doing something, he gets it done and he does it right and it looks great.

Since this side of my house faces my neighbor, Lesa, I told her what was going to happen so she could dig up her plants temporarily. So, Lesa not only dug up her plants, but some of mine that will be replaced with a small patio later this month (also needed to prevent water in the basement). Lesa worked her butt off. She loves to garden even more than I do and she really worked hard this weekend.

I got to play with Shannon.

I think this cost me around $400 everything included (gas, food, etc.). It is so well worth it. Patrick and Aaron did a great job.

Oh - a couple of weeks ago I came home and went to get the mail. When I opened the mailbox the whole post fell over. Patrick and Aaron also installed a new mailbox and post for me. It is as solid as a rock!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Patrick and Aaron. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

No comments: