Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ferns


When I was at Sally's a few weeks ago I forgot to bring some hand work to do. While visiting a little quilt shop I found a stack of these ferns in all different sizes and colors. The owner of the store explained to us how they were hand made and now I forget. The fabric I know is hand dyed, treated and the fern placed on top and treated again. I think.

Anyway, I purchased silver metallic threat and started hand stitching. After I got home (I didn't get very far) I decided to machine stitch the ferns and I ripped out my hand stitches. The stems I stitched 3 times and the branches once. I think you can probably see the affect better by clicking on the images for a closer look. I used a deep charcoal grey for the first border and a deep wine colored fabric for the outer border.

I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Now, it is off to the quilter.

3 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh that is gorgeous. Don't you adore hand dyed fabric. And with that fern on it, oh die.

Christine said...

Ooooh, you really shouldn't show me things like that. I love, love, love dying fabric.

Julie-Ann said...

I've never tried dying fabric unless you consider tye dying my tee shirts 40 years ago! (My mom wanted to kill me!) The fern patterns came on such a wide variety of colors, but I was attracted to the more suble ones. Some of the bright blues and yellows were stunning!