Sunday, July 05, 2009

Weekend at Sally's Part II

Friday and Saturday we never left Sally's property (all 12 acres). I did venture out mid-day to walk down to her mail box and walk all around her property on Friday. We were too busy quilting.

We finished up the little lady. I think she is perfect. I found backing for her in Sally's stash.

We cut and pieced the Jars Aplenty. We were both tickled with the results! The napkin is from Sally's stash. Also in Sally's stash there is fabric for all of the major holidays. We decided next time we would do a Jars Aplenty in holiday fabric - each jar a different holiday fabric. We would call it "Holidays in a Jar!"


Sally, who is a newbie quilter, started her tea cup place mat on Saturday. There were a couple of errors on the pattern and not enough fabric was included in the kits. However, Sally's friend, Jean, brought Sally a ton of quilting supplies, including 3 (yes, 3) bins of scraps, some quite large. I guess Jean quilted a few items and decided it wasn't for her. Lucky for Sally, though! We used my machine to piece all of the projects we made. Isn't the pocket for the tea bag cute?


Sally did a great job on this project. I love, love, the colors. By the time I left early Sunday morning, she had a lot of it hand quilted. I would love to have one hanging in my kitchen. (That, dear Sally, is a direct hint!)




Saturday I was a little under the weather due to a medication error. So, I napped, read, made pasta and a Waldorf salad - just hung out. Sally made wonderful fish. Yum. We ate well over the weekend!

It was fun to teach Sally the little I know of quilting. At one point she said, "Isn't this wonderful? We are so comfortable around each other that conversation isn't necessary. We work well together." Ahhh, Sally - that's why I love you! Friends like Sal are far and few between!


Sally has been bitten by the quilting bug! Her cup of tea (pun intended) is hand stitching and she does a beautiful job. This is her very first project, a pillow all hand done. No pattern, either. I'm impressed.
I left early Sunday morning. Stopped in Indiana long enough to go to the bathroom and hit the Skyway and straight through Chicago no problem. Stopped at the Cracker Barrel in Kenosha for an early lunch as by then I was very hungry.
What a great weekend!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, you guys got a lot done. I really like how your jars turned out! Great job!!

Julie-Ann said...

Thanks! And, thanks for your help in picking out the materials!

Earthbound Spirit said...

What a neat way to spend the long weekend! And Sally looks wonderful - like a true wise woman. You are both crone-worthy, you know!

Julie-Ann said...

Ha! I'm not ready for a croning ceremony quite yet! I feel so far from wise these days . . .

We did have a great weekend. It is so good to see Sally back to herself.

sewprimitive karen said...

Julie-Ann, your silhouette girl looks great, I'm so thrilled to see her posted on your blog. Your retreat week-end to Michigan sounds wonderful, I do miss those areas.