Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Glads for Mom

My Dad was a very romantic fellow. My Mom was a unsentimental woman. However, I think she did appreciate Dad's romance even though as young kids we girls would have never known it.

Every year at this time Dad would bring Mom home oodles of gladiolas. She loved them. She got that little twinkle in her eyes. Ahhh, I think it paid off for Dad!

After they retired, much to our amazement, Mom got a little more lovey dovey. She would actually kiss (a little peck) Dad in front of us. They held hands a lot, both when walking or if they were sitting next to each other and their genuine affection for each other was much more evident. It was fun watching them.

In one way I got the best of both of them. I'm a romantic and I'm very sentimental.

So, to pay tribute for the the deep love and respect my parents had for each other, every year at this time I purchase at least one bunch of glads.

I know my eyes twinkle just looking at these beautiful flowers!

2 comments:

Tamara, Freyja's Jewels said...

OH! I love this post! My parents were the same - when we still had both of them. My Dad would tell my Mom that he had a warm feeling for her in his heart, and she'd tell him it must be indigestion! Since my Dad passed away when I was 8, the 'most-hopeless-of-romantics' in me must be genetic. My Mom and I still laugh at how different we are in that regard. She makes fun, but I know she's secretly glad I got THAT gene from him... Some of the others, probably not so much!

Julie-Ann said...

Thanks, Tamara! My parents were married for over 61 years. Theyt realoly had a good marriage. Mom died in 2003 and Dad died last November. Although I really grieve for them, especially my Dad as I was a "daddy's girl" and his main caretaker the last couple of years, I am happy that they are together again. When Dad passed I joked that Mom pulled his spirit up to heaven and said, "About time you got here!"