Wednesday, July 08, 2009

UFOs (Unfinished Fabric Objects)

Look!

Up in the Sky!

It is a plane? Is it a satellite? Is it a Unfinished Fabric Object?

And, just what is a UFO (in the quilting world)?

Now, I have at least 7 or 8 projects in my quilting queue. They are neatly stacked and/or still in their packages. I haven't started them, although I look at them a lot. Are these considered UFOs?

Or, are UFOs projects started, but put aside for a while? And, what length of time makes them UFOs?

I have one quilt that has been sitting in my office for 6 weeks waiting to have the binding hand stitched on. I just finished up the binding on another quilt last night, so I will start on this quilt tonight. Was that considered a UFO, even though it wasn't put aside for long - just waiting its turn?

I'm confused!

I'm trying to do my projects in the order that I purchased them (or the fabric). My Friendship Star fabric was purchased last fall, but I am now plugging away at it. Then comes the Broken Dishes wall hanging, then my dragonfly king sized quilt (in between someplace a lap quilt for my nephew), then the 1930s quilt, then a "shoe" wall hanging, then one other quilt I can't remember, then a big block quilt, then an Irish Chain queen for my great nephew, then a twin size patch, then. . . . .
I'll be throwing in some quick projects, too, since most of these are large quilts and I will need some immediate gratification.

Are all of these UFOs?

After reading a lot of quilting blogs UFOs get mentioned a lot. I really don't want to have too many sitting around. However, is it just part of quilting?

Help!

P.S. I forgot to mention the 2 block of the month (BOMs) I started. Yikes! Who has time to work?

4 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Your projects sound like fun. None of us quilters should have to work, there is too much wonderful quilting to do :-).

Jen said...

Haha! You've been quilting long enough now! I define a UFO as something that has been put away and left unfinished for an undetermined amount of time.
A Work in Progress is anything you've put to the side to work on another project. A work in progress is something that just stays out in my sewing room.

I really don't count hand binding as much because that's something you just always work on when you have time.

Julie-Ann said...

So then all of my projects in queue are just "wanna be's?"

LOL

Earthbound Spirit said...

JA - It is so much fun to read about your projects! Ah, I wish I had any spare time to sew or bead these days...