Friday, November 20, 2009

Panel Hangings

Here a a couple of holiday panels I made in October and finished this month.

I love the Santa with the polar bear. I added a border to the panel. Of course, it is in blues, which is one reason why I love it. I love all of the animals, too.








The cat panel is a Christmas gift for my doggie sitter, Mary Sue, from Gracie and Lucy Lou. Mary Sue is really a cat person, but she loves all animals and adores my "girls." I have always given her dog themed Christmas presents, so this year I saw this cat panel and decided to go with it. I added border to this, too.


Both panels were quilted at The Patched Works.

I added crystals to both panels, which do not show up on the pictures. On the Santa panel I added over 60 clear and blue Swarovski crystals and amber Swarovski crystals to the cat panel border, trying to place them on the stars. I bought the crystals, which are flat on the bottom and have heat activated glue on them, along with this tool that heats up and affixes the crystal to the material. The tool really doesn't work as it should. You can purchase these crystals in all different sizes and the tool comes with "bits" to match the size of the crystal. The instructions say to place the crystal right side up on the material and place the heated to (with correct size bit) over the crystal for 15 seconds or so. Well, I found the crystals would stick inside the bit of the tool and it was hard to get them out. So, I placed the crystal where I wanted it and pressed the side of the bit to it and hold it in place. This works as far as heating the crystal enough to get the glue to stick, but it also moves the crystal a little. I had crystals flying all over the place!

Anyway, I am very pleased with the way they both turned out and thanks to Jen who gave me the idea to add the crystals. It adds a little something extra and special both panels.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Both panels turned out great and I liked the idea of adding the crystals. I've had my eye on that Santa panel for a while so I'd better get going if I want to finish it for Christmas this year, oh well there's always next year.

sewprimitive karen said...

Love the Santa with the polar bears.

Jen said...

They turned out awesome! Ok, when did you go sky diving? How cool!! I LOVE your new blog layout.