Friday, November 13, 2009

A Quilt for the Burn Camp

Every year the Wisconsin Association of Fire Chief's has a conference in June. For several years a quilt is raffled off and the proceeds are donated to the Burn Camp, which is a week-long summer camp for children, ages 7-17, who have suffered from burns. Many members of the Milwaukee Fire Department volunteer their own time each summer at the camp.

Late last spring a plea went out from the lady in charge of the quilt donation. The quilter who had been donating quilts the past few years could no longer do so. While it was too late for me to help, I told her I would ask the Friendship Ladies quilting group at Ye Olde Schoolhouse Quilt Store in Cedarburg, WI if they would like to help in this worthy cause.

I know quilters have generous spirits. This proved itself when last summer I mentioned the possibility of making a quilt to be raffled off . They all agreed it was a good idea. Well, it's now time to get down to business. Last Thursday we we met, Jeannie and I brought up the subject again. Within minutes a pattern was decided on, copies of it distributed and colors decided. Each lady will make one 12" Twin Star block using the colors of cream, black and deep red/burgundy. I asked that each lady have her block to me by February so I have time to add sashing and borders (if needed) and get it to the quilter. It should all be ready by the June conference.

I was overwhelmed how fast these ladies agreed to help. One lady ran out to her car to show us a Twin Star quilt she had pieced that she thought would work. The colors were perfect and the pattern easy enough for even me!

If any of you out in blog land would like to add a block to this very worthwhile cause, please contact me.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm in! How many blocks do you need and is there a link I can check out with the block? I can always draft it out if I see one.

sewprimitive karen said...

That is an amazing picture of you sky-diving, by the way. You look as if there is nothing urgent going on at all LOL.

Julie-Ann said...

Ha! Getting safely to the ground was rather urgent! I took the plunge in GA a few years ago. I will do it again down there when I retire in August. Want to join me?