Friday, August 28, 2009

Ancient Greeks Wrote Quilt Patterns?

I am happy to be part of the Friendship Ladies quilting group that meets once a month at Ye Olde Schoolhouse quilt store. As you may remember, we last worked on a Mystery Quilt and it was a lot of fun.

This go around the group, along with Jeannie, the store owner, decided to do 2 blocks a month. Each month Jeannie will give us 2 patterns and we will purchase one fat quarter that Jeannie picked out. We have to use the fabric in the fat quarter in each of the 2 blocks. The other fabrics in the blocks are our own choice. Each month it will be a new fat quarter fabric. This month we used beautiful fabric by Barbara Brackman for Moda (sorry I cut off the name of the fabric).

Sounds like fun, right? Well, I'm still a newbie quilter and these wonderful ladies have been quilting for many years. They can glance at a pattern and figure it out. Jeannie, God Bless her heart, handed me two patterns that I swear were designed by ancient Greek quilters. There are no instructions - just how much material to cut and a rather bad picture. Yikes! No measurements. No step-by-step instructions. No glossy colored pictures.

After seeing my blank and panicky look, Jeannie and Laurel (a wonderful lady who works for Jeannie) devised a diagram for the first block. Maybe they took Greek in high school, I don't know. On the second pattern they gave me some measurements.


Anyway, here are pictures of the patterns and here is one of my results. The brown fabric is the fabric that must be used in both blocks. I will admit I had fun going through my scraps. This block could have up to 5 fabrics, but I wanted it simple.


I know, I know, my center points are cut off. My grandmother use to say (and I have heard Jeannie say it too) "if you can't see it from a galloping horse it is just fine." (Well, that horse is going to have to be on the other side of the barn.) Do you that that might be ancient Greek philosophy? Hey - Maybe the patterns are hieroglyphics taken off an ancient Greek cave.
It's all Greek to me!

P.S. If any one know where these patterns came from, please advise! I promise not to tell Jeannie you squealed.

1 comment:

Schoolhouse Greek Philosopher said...

Your Block is Very Happy!.....Good Job!!!!!!!!