Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day at the Fair







I love going to the Wisconsin State Fair. I enjoy going to the county fairs, too. I so enjoy seeing how hard the FFA and 4-H kids work. I love the displays and ribbons for the home goods, sewing and art work of both the kids and adults. I love the animals. And, boy - I love the food!

Yesterday, Terri and I both took a vacation day and by 10am were at the fair. It was a perfect summer day - nice and warm, but with a breeze and no clouds in the sky. Great weather for the fair. We did just about everything we could do. Saw the llamas, sheep, chickens, cows, pigs, goats, bunnies. Missed the horses, now that I think of it, but did see some beautiful Clydesdale's.

One highlight of the Wisconsin State Fair is the cream puffs. It is a must to eat at least one if you go to the fair. We got to the booth early and didn't have to wait in line at all. Yum. All that wonderful Wisconsin cream. Good thing they removed all of the calories for us (LOL - I wish!).

We went up and down nearly every aisle of the Expo Center, saw the 4-H displays and all of the awards for jams, jellies, pies, cakes, etc.

Ohhh - the beautiful quilts. They were inspiring and intimidating! It was difficult to pick our favorites.

We viewed the pig races. We listened to music. We found inventive places to sit and relax!

And, of course, we ate. The big thing this year is the chocolate covered bacon on a stick. Of course, we tried it. One or two bites was enough! Terri had a deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a stick. That was good. Basically, we ate a lot of deep fried or "junky" food, but it was worth every bite!

By 5pm we were pooped and headed home. Once in my recliner I was exhausted. However, the dogs kept staring at me so after a quick shower and a little more relaxing, I took them for a walk. By the time I fell into bed, it felt like I had walked over 500 miles. But, worth every step.

2 comments:

Earthbound Spirit said...

I like the all-Wisconsin products building. Yummy ice cream, Sprecher root beer, lots of syrup and cheese... and the alternative livestock shows with ostriches, llamas, bison, etc.

sewprimitive karen said...

Ah, Wisconsin. That all sounds wonderful.