Saturday, August 15, 2009

Underground Railroad Quilt

I think I'm nuts.

I have now decided that I would like to make Eleanor Burns' Underground Railroad quilt. Like I need one more quilting project. Like I need a hole in my head.

I went out to Ye Ole Schoolhouse and tried to purchase as much of the material in reproduction c. 1840-60 fabric as possible, so that the quilt looks true to its name. There are 4 background materials and 3 each of blues, reds, greens and browns.


Following the directions in the book (which are very easy to understand) I cut and I cut and I cut and I cut each individual piece, placed them in zip lock baggie, added a label to the outside of the baggie and then placed each baggie in the appropriate huge zip lock bag according to the quilt square. So each little baggie tells me which block it goes to:


North Star Block
Red #1
6" square
Center piece

Then it got popped into the larger zip lock bag marked "North Star Block"

This way I can pull out a block and every thing I need is pre-cut and labeled. I grab the book for instructions and off I go to the sewing machine.

Yeah - I got a million other projects going on, plus I handyman coming in to do a ton of work around my place.
Oh, well . . .

2 comments:

KarenQuilt said...

Hi Julie-Ann,

I admire anyone who tackles a bed-size quilt! I am a quilt historian and Google sends me links to various posts having to do with quilts. That's how I found your blog! Since you are making an Underground Railroad Quilt, I thought you might enjoy learning more about the history of this code. This link has some remarkable history that makes the story additionally fascinating because of its links to oral history and folklore. http://www.ugrrquilt.hartcottagequilts.com/

This particular website is very rich in all kinds of quilt history! Enjoy!

Also quilt historian Barbara Brackman has a very interesting book titled "Unraveling the History of Quilts and Slavery." She also has an on-line Underground Railroad Quilt Club on the C&T in-line clubs website http://www.ctpub.com/client/client_pages/onlineclubs.cfm

I have no monetary interest in promoting either of these links. I just love quilt history and like to share it with others. My own blog is http://karenquilt.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your quilting and with finding your "special warm retreat" in Georgia! I love Clayton County myself but that is in the mountains. Might not be so warm....but lots of great antiques! Happy quilting! Karen

MARCIE said...

This will be a beautiful quilt.I have seen a few made up. And you have the worst part done! Now you can sit and stitch to your heart's content!