Friday, August 21, 2009

Poor Doggies

My Lucy Lou had been pawing at the side of her mouth so I took her in to the vet. Well, she had an infected, impacted tooth - poor dog.

One vet bill wasn't enough as I decided Gracie should have her teeth checked and cleaned, too. So, yesterday both girls went to the vet early in the morning for a tooth extraction (Lucy Lou) and cleaning (both).

Luckily, after Lucy Lou's bad tooth as removed both girls where deemed to have healthy teeth and just needed a good cleaning. No other teeth removed.

Since they were put under for the cleaning, both were still groggy when I picked them up last night. Down right silly, too, until Gracie started shaking and had the dry heaves. I got her curled up on the couch with a quilt over her and towels under her and she fell back into a sound sleep. She hardly raised her head the whole night. I had to carry her to the back door to go potty and carry her upstairs when it was time for me to go to bed. Have I ever mentioned my dogs are spoiled?

Lucy Lou needed to be by my side the whole evening. Unfortunately, her back legs kept giving out from under her due to the anesthetic. The first time I heard a "thump" and looked to see Lucy Lou sitting there with a dumb look on her face. The second time I heard a "thump" I saw Lucy Lou sitting with a bewildered look. The third time I actually saw her butt go down. I gave her lots of hugs and cuddles. She was really confused. When it was my bed time I walked up the steps behind her and sure enough, I had to help her back end up the stairs.

Lucy Lou has to be on a soft diet for a few days so about 8pm I added a mixture of hot water and beef broth to their dry food. After an hour it was mush and Lucy Lou gobbled it down. Gracie turned up her nose.

This morning they seemed almost back to normal although Gracie would only eat the "mush" if I hand fed it to her. It delayed me by 5 minutes, but again - they are very spoiled dogs!

The bill for all of this? $301.17. The beauty of their sweet doggie smiles? Priceless.

1 comment:

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hi there! I found you over at Tamara's blog "Transformed by the Sea." You too seem to have a lot in common, old houses and dogs! I featured her house on my blog this summer and I have just loved her ever since. We got to be great friends and I bet you two will as well. I appreciate you being her first follower, as I have pushed her to start a blog since I met her and first saw pictures of her homes.

I am laughing at your story of the dogs (poor babies). It's amazing what we do for our pets. We are new to dog world, but love every minute of it.

Good to 'meet' you Julia-Ann!

~Misti